Health – Complaints

Making a Complaint About a Health Service Provider

If you’re concerned about your health treatment, you can make a complaint to:

1. Hospital and Health Service

2. To OHO and the Queensland Human Rights Commission (QHRC)

If still unsatisfied with the response, you can complain about a health service provider to Office of the Health Ombudsman (OHO) (Queensland Health’s service complaints agency)and the Qld Human Rights Commission (QHRC).

Legal Advice

The consumer may need legal advice if:
  • They’ve been referred for an involuntary assessment
  • They’ve been placed under a treatment authority
  • They’re preparing to appear at the Mental Health Review Tribunal
  • They’ve been charged with a criminal offence and are going to the Mental Health Court or they want to be referred to the Mental Health Court.
The following organisations may also give legal advice:
  • Community Legal Centres give legal advice on a range of topics.
  • QAI Mental Health Legal Service provides legal advice and casework services for people who have matters before the Mental Health Review Tribunal, including treatment authorities, orders, reviews of forensic orders, fitness for trial and more.
  • ADA Law have information and advocacy services relating to guardianship and administration matters. They can help adults with capacity issues with Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) processes.
  • Lawright (MHRT) gives legal information and advice about involuntary treatment orders, the Mental Health Review Tribunal and other associated civil law issues arising as a result of a person’s mental health problem (eg housing or credit or debt law issues). The service also gives help and advocacy services to clients a treatment authority and ECT hearings in the Mental Health Review Tribunal.
  • Qld Law Society – Find a Solicitor lists specialist private lawyers for advice or representation.
Reference: Legal Aid
You may also be interested in

Can’t find what you’re looking for?