Family and Domestic Violence – What Help is Available

Online Safety

How to hide your internet browsing history

Legal Advice

Get legal advice – The following organisations may be able to give legal advice:

Legal Aid may give legal advice and help about domestic and family violence.

Women’s Legal Service Qld gives free legal advice to women on areas of law including domestic violence and family law. Fact Sheets include:
  • Domestic Violence
  • Violence and Criminal Charges
  • Digital safety
  • Children
  • Leaving home: Separation and divorce
More information and services links:

Qld Indigenous Family Violence Legal Service provides legal and counselling services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people suffering from the direct and indirect effects of domestic violence and sexual assault.

Community Legal Centres give legal advice on a range of topics. Contact them to find out if they can help with your matter.

Qld Law Society – Find a solicitor can refer you to a specialist private lawyer for advice or representation.

Caxton Legal Service

Orders and Processes

To understand more about Domestic and Family Violence orders and processes, go to our page Orders and Processes

How Can the Police Help?

The police must investigate if they suspect there is domestic violence in a relationship. If they reasonably believe domestic violence has been committed they can:
  • charge the respondent with a criminal offence (eg stalking, assault, grievous bodily harm)
  • issue a police protection notice—issued on the spot and protects you straight away from any further domestic violence acts (it has the same effect as a court order until the matter is heard in court)
  • apply to a court for a domestic violence protection order for you
  • apply to a court to change an existing domestic violence protection order
  • take the respondent into custody—if the respondent is likely to injure someone or damage property
  • apply directly to a magistrate for an urgent temporary order.
Qld Police Service responds to emergency situations (eg if there is violence or you or your children have been threatened). Call 000 if you’re in immediate danger.

Who Else Can Help?

These organisations may be able to help. They don’t give legal advice.

Court Network: offers support to victims and witnesses in Queensland

Centacare Domestic and Family Violence Service gives information about domestic violence and helps with applications in some courts in Queensland. Court assistance workers can also help with legal aid applications and referrals to other services.

DV Connect gives counselling, information, referral and help including refuge and shelter placement and crisis intervention to people affected by domestic violence. They also manage the Pets in Crisis project arranging foster care for pets while people affected by domestic violence are in temporary accommodation.

Mensline (DV Connect) is a free, confidential telephone counselling, referral and support service for men.

Immigrant Women’s Support Service offers free confidential, practical and emotional support to immigrant and refugee women from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and their children who have experienced domestic or sexual violence.

Family Relationship Advice Line is a free national telephone service giving help to families affected by relationship or separation issues, including parents, grandparents, children, young people, step-parents and friends.

Men and Family Relationship Counselling Service provides services including domestic violence prevention counselling.

Domestic Violence Prevention Centre (Gold Coast): provides information and links for victims, perpetrators, friends and family

Brisbane Domestic Violence Service: Free information, referral and crisis service for people in Brisbane affected by family violence

Rape and Domestic Violence Directory Service: Phone, online and face to face counselling to people of all genders who have experienced sexual, domestic or family violence, and their supporters.

Courts – Support Service Listing
You may also be interested in

Can’t find what you’re looking for?